Google will begin ranking mobile-friendly sites higher starting April 21, 2015
In an announcement posted on Google’s official blog, Webmaster Central, Google announced starting April 21st they will be officially considering the mobile friendliness of a website as an integral part of their ranking algorithm for mobile search results. Google will begin ranking mobile-friendly sites higher in the SERP’s.
When it comes to search on mobile devices, users should get the most relevant and timely results, no matter if the information lives on mobile-friendly web pages or apps. As more people use mobile devices to access the internet, Google’s algorithms have to adapt to these usage patterns.
- Avoids software that is not common on mobile devices, like Flash
- Uses text that is readable without zooming
- Sizes content to the screen so users don’t have to scroll horizontally or zoom
- Places links far enough apart so that the correct one can be easily tapped
More mobile-friendly websites in search results
Starting April 21, Google will be expanding the use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in Google’s search results. Consequently, users will find it easier to get relevant, high quality search results that are optimized for their devices.
Google will begin ranking mobile-friendly sites higher
To get help with making a mobile-friendly site, check out Google’s guide to mobile-friendly sites. If you’re a webmaster, you can get ready for this change by using the following tools to see how Googlebot views your pages:
- Check your pages with the Mobile-Friendly Test
- Read our updated documentation on our Webmasters Mobile Guide on how to create and improve your mobile site
- See the Mobile usability report in Google Webmaster Tools, which highlights major mobile usability issues across your entire site, not just one page
- Check our how-to guide for third-party software like WordPress or Joomla, in order to migrate your website hosted on a CMS (Content Management System) to use a mobile-friendly template
Make sure to check your website pages using Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test. Google will begin ranking mobile-friendly sites higher so don’t miss out. If your website isn’t mobile friendly, contact me for a quote to make your website mobile friendly.
Do you more customers, patients, or sales? Curious if you're a good fit to work with us? Fill out the project inquiry form to tell us about your project.
Want to schedule a call? Click on the button to schedule an appointment with us. ZERO Obligation. We promise you will enjoy our chat!
Sign up to get a monthly eNewsletter to receive tips, tricks and the latest tech news!